Monday, May 19, 2008

Remembrance


Every morning for the past few weeks, I've been reading and meditating on the PC(USA)'s Sunday lectionary for the upcoming week. I find it centering to focus on the same set of verses every day for the whole week; tying things together further is that we are following the series at MBCC, so one of the week's passages is also the basis for the sermon on Sunday.

One of this week's passages is Isaiah 49:15-16:

I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.

It seems simple; but really, can you imagine that? Every time God looks at his hands, he sees us there -- that is how often he thinks of us. We are engraved there, in his hands -- that is how close we are to him. I can't quite get my head around it.

What is engraved on the palms of my hands? What do I think of as often as I look at them? What is so close to me, so important to me, that it exists there? What should be engraved on the palms of my hands?


------
"You were born to glow majestically and love until your hands bleed." - Page France

No comments: